On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Authorized species: all legal species, but CDFW emphasizes-
- Big game: mule deer and black bear
- Small game mammals: rabbit and tree squirrel
- Upland game birds: Turkey, mountain quail, blue grouse, and dove
- CDFW symbols: the area webpage only reflects the following activities-
- Antelope Valley Unit: take County Road 855 (Antelope Valley Road) south from Highway 49 just west of Loyalton.
- Merry-Go-Round Unit: access is directly off Highway 49, west of Antelope Valley Road and the town of Loyalton
- County: Sierra County
- Deer: prime deer winter range
- Lower elevations: sagebrush interspersed with rabbit brush and bitterbrush
- Upper slopes: Jeffrey pine, juniper, mountain mahogany, and chaparral plants.
- Location: between Sierraville and Loyalton
- Phone: (916) 358-2900
- Recreational Use: Type C
- Region: 2. North Central
- Size: 5,616 acres
- Waterfowl Zone: Northeastern WF Zone
- Website: Antelope Valley WLA
- ATV/OHVs: NOT allowed (per CDFW webpage)
- Availability: ONLY from May 1 through October 31.
- Motor homes and camp trailers: NOT allowed
[14 CCR § 551(m)(1)]
- Closures: no hunting from February 1 through June 30. [14 CCR § 551(o)(2)]
- Hunting: allowed ONLY from July 1 through January 31