On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Authorized species: all legal species, but CDFW emphasizes-
- Waterfowl: ducks and geese
- Other game birds: dove and quail
- Resident small game: rabbit, jackrabbit
- Big game: deer
- CDFW symbols: the area webpage only reflects the following activities-
- City: north of Janesville
- County: Lassen County
- Habitat: rolling hills with sagebrush and grasslands.
- Location: From Hwy 395, go S. on Buffum Ln. to Wildlife Area entrance.
- Phone: (530) 254-6808
- Recreational Use: Type C
- Region: 1. Northern
- Size: 5,553 acres
- Waterfowl Zone: Northeastern WF Zone
- Website: Bass Hill WLA
B. All Hunting
Archery: allowed but see our summary of State regulations. Warning shot!!! During any archery season, archers may NOT possess a firearm while in the field hunting with a archery equipment. [ref. § 551(r)(2)]
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Egan Management Unit: restricted to shotguns, archery & muzzleloaders [ref. § 551(r)(2)]
- Entrance: Google map
- Hunt area: right
- Hunt days: DAILY
- Hunter capacity: NO limit
- Hunt map: see below and our Google map
- Muzzleloaders: see “Weapons” below
- Weapons: Egan Management Unit–ONLY shotguns, archery & muzzleloaders [ref. § 551(r)(2)]
(2) Bass Hill Wildlife Area
Type C Area 3,515 acres
Location: Approximately six miles southeast of Susanville, adjacent to Highway 395.
Daily Hunter Capacity: No limit. For information call (530) 254-6808.
(A) Hunt Days: Daily during seasons for authorized species, except for Special Restrictions listed below.
(B) Authorized Species: All legal species.
(C) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
(D) Special Restrictions: The Egan Management Unit of Bass Hill Wildlife Area shall be open to the use of shotguns, archery equipment, or muzzle-loading weapons, only, for all hunting seasons.