On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Authorized Activities:
- Waterfowl hunting: geese, ducks, coot & moorhen
- Upland game bird hunting: doves, pheasant & snipe
- Big game hunting: Pronghorn antelope, but ONLY during apprentice hunts
- CDFW symbols: the Area webpage only reflects the following activities-
- City: 5 miles west of Macdoel, CA
- County: Siskiyou County
- Habitat: wetlands, sage flats, and farmlands, including 4,000 acre Meiss Lake
- Location: see our Google map
- Phone: (530) 398-4627
- Region: 1. Northern
- Recreational use: Type B
- Size: 13,392 acres
- Waterfowl Zone: Northeastern WF Zone
- Website: Butte Valley WLA
B. All Hunting
- Closure: NOT allowed from Mar. 1 – Sept. 1
- Motors: NOT allowed
- Camping & trailers: allowed [ref. § 551(m)(3)]
- Dogs: leash required from Mar. 1 – Aug. 15
- Enter/exit: ONLY at designated points of access
- Hours: open two (2) hrs. before sunrise to one (1) hour after sunset
- Hunt map: right
C. Waterfowl Season
- Check out: by one (1) hour after sunset
- Hunt days: Saturdays, Sundays & Wednesdays
- Hunter capacity: NO limit except opening weekend, which varies with water supply
- Passes: a Type A or Type B pass is required and must be pre-purchased from the CDFW (link to purchasing info). Warning shot!!! NOT sold at the check station
- Permits: issued first-come, first-served except opening weekend (see “Reservations”)
- Reservations: required and available ONLY opening weekend of WF season
- Applications: Each “rezzy” is good for both Saturday and Sunday, but to qualify applications must specify the Sat. hunt day. Purchase at least 17 days in advance from a CDFW License Sales Office or Agent (link to purchasing info). Warning shots!!! NOT sold at the check station or online.
- Availability: approx. ___ “rezzies”
- Parties: six (6) people, including no more than (2) adults, each of whom may bring no more than a combinations of two (2) juniors or non-shooters (Information received on 9/2/2014 from Mr. Farmer, at (530) 459-3926.)
- Passes: see “Passes” above
- Permits: issued to reservation holders in numerical order
- Processing: begins at the check station, as early as two (2) hours before shoot time, and continues until ___ hour before shoot time, at which time reservations expire
D. Dove Seasons
- Hunt days:
- Early season: DAILY during the early season in Sept.
- Late season: ONLY on waterfowl hunt days
[ref. § 551(p)(1)]
E. Pheasant Season
- Hunt days: ONLY on Sundays [ref. § 551(p)(1)]
F. Snipe Season
- Hunt days: Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays
G. Pronghorn Antelope
- Juniors: California pronghorn antelope hunting is allowed but only with an apprentice tag from the big game drawing.
[ref. § 551(s)(2)]
(5) Butte Valley Wildlife Area
Type B Area 13,392 acres
Location: In Butte Valley off Highway 97 south of Macdoel Drive west on Meiss Lake Road. Reservations: Required for opening weekend of duck season. Each reservation will be good for both days of opening weekend but applications must specify the Saturday hunt day in order to be considered. All hunting is first-come, first-served for the remainder of the season. Successful applicants must obtain a Type A or Type B season entry pass. These passes are not available at the checking station. Daily Hunter Capacity: Number will vary with the amount of available water and applies only to opening weekend of waterfowl season. For information call (530) 398-4627.
(A) Hunt Days: Waterfowl, coots, moorhens, and snipe: Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays during the waterfowl season. Pheasants: Sundays only during the pheasant season. Doves: Daily during the September dove season and on waterfowl hunt days during the late dove season.
(B) Authorized Species: Waterfowl, coots, moorhens, snipe, pheasants, and doves. Pronghorn antelope may be taken during apprentice hunts only.
(C) Camping and Trailers: Allowed.
(D) Special Restrictions: Boats with motors are prohibited. Boating and other water-related sports are prohibited from March 1 to September 1. No person shall enter or leave the area except at designated entry points. The area is open to public use only from two hours before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Dogs must be on a leash from March 1 to August 15.