On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
Authorized species: all legal species, but CDFW emphasizes-
- Big game: deer
- Small game mammals: cottontail rabbit, jackrabbits, and tree squirrel
- Upland game birds: California quail, band-tailed pigeon and dove
- CDFW symbols: the area webpage only reflects the following activities-
- County: Yuba County and Butte County
- Daugherty Hill Unit: one mile east of Marysville Road on Dolan Harding Road or through the Collins Lake Recreation Area.
- Donovan Hill Unit: Take Highway 20 to Marysville Road; proceed north (left) on Marysville Road about 8.3 miles to the second Dolan Harding Road intersection. The Donovan Hill Unit begins here.
- Darby Road Unit: Going north on Marysville Road from Highway 20, turn west on Loma Rica Road for 1.4 miles. Turn north on Los Verjeles Road for 5 miles to Bangor. Turn north on La Porte Road and go three miles to Darby Road. Parking lot is located .2 miles east of South Honcut Creek crossing. Warning shot!!! During periods of high water the concrete road crossing over South Honcut Creek will be impassable as vehicles could be washed off the road. If water is flowing over the road crossing, return to La Porte Road, turn east for 4.2 miles and turn right on Vierra Road for 3.8 miles to reach the parking lot.
- Habitat: Rolling hills covered with blue and live oak, gray pine, ceanothus, and poison oak.
- Location: North of Highway 20 approximately 17 miles east of Marysville
- Phone: (916) 358-2900
- Recreational Use: Type C
- Region 2: North Central
- Size: Daugherty Hill Unit (2,638 acres), Donovan Hill Unit (1,762 acres), and Darby Road Unit (689 acres)
- Website: Daugherty Hill Wildlife Area
Bicycles: Allowed only on the Daugherty Hill Unit from May 10 through September 15. Prohibited on other units. [14 CCR § 551(j)(2)]
- Camping: No tent camping. Overnight parking with camp trailers allowed only in designated parking lots [14 CCR § 551(m)(6)]
- Closures: Closed to hunting February 1 through June 30 except for the spring Turkey season when only [14 CCR § 551(0)(9)]
Deer hunting: black-tailed deer migrate at higher elevations during late October (Zone D-3)
- Horses: Allowed only on the Daugherty Hill unit from May 10 through September 15 [14 CCR § 551(l)(5)]
- Hunting area: Warning shot!!! Homes are located near some of the wildlife area boundaries (do not shoot within 150 yards)
- Units: see maps below
- Daugherty Hill Unit
- Darby Road
- Donovan Hill Unit
- Daugherty Hill Unit: parking is located one mile east of Marysville Road on Dolan Harding Road or by fee through the Collins Lake Recreation Area
- Weapons: During spring turkey season, only shotguns, archery equipment, and air rifles firing pellets of a minimum 0.177 caliber and powered by compressed air or gas may be used. [14 CCR § 551(r)(11)]