On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Authorized Activities:
- Waterfowl hunting: geese, ducks & coot (see “Goose” below)
- Upland game bird hunting: pheasant & snipe
- Sport fishing: common species include, __
- Commercial fishing: common species include, __
- CDFW symbols: the Area webpage only reflects the following activities-
- City: 15 mi. SW of Eureka, off Hwy 101
- County: Humboldt County
- Habitat: large riparian forest
- Location: see our Google map
- Phone: (707) 445-6493
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region: 1. Northern
- Size: 1,722 – 2,131 acres (CDFW webpage v. booklet)
- Special Management Area: North Coast SMA and Northern Brant SMA
- Website: Eel River WLA
B. All Hunting
- ATV’s: NOT allowed except see “Commercial anglers” in Par. C below [ref. § 551(k)(1)]
- Cannibal Island Unit: closed from the Mon. following youth hunting days until Apr. 1; see Sec. 502(e)(1)(B)(5) for youth hunting days
- Vehicles: designated portions may be closed to vehicle entry from Mar. 1 – Sept. 15
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Cannibal Island Unit: CLOSED from the Monday following youth hunting days – Apr. 1; see 14 CCR 502(e)(1)(B)(5)
- Hunt days: DAILY except see “Geese” above
- Hunter capacity: NO limit
- Vehicles: Portions are closed to vehicle entry from March 1 through September 15 [ref. § 551(o)(1o)]
- Weapons: NO rifles or pistols may be possessed [ref. § 551(r)(13)]
- Woodcutting: requires written authorization from the regional manager or his designee and may occur only between September 16 and February 28 [ref. §§ 551(z)(1)]
C. Waterfowl Season
- Hunt area:
- Small Canadian Geese:
- Late season: NO hunting ; see 14 CCR 502(D)(1)
D. Commercial Fishing
- ATV: allowed ONLY from the waveslope [ref. § 551(k)(1)]
(6) Eel River Wildlife Area
Type C Area 1,722 acres
Location: Approximately six miles southwest of Eureka off Highway 101. Daily Hunter Capacity: No limit. For information call (707) 445-6493. Pursuant to Section 502(D) (5)(D) 1 (see page 10) hunting for Small Canada geese during the Late Season is not permitted on this area.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
(B) Hunt Days: Daily, during open seasons for authorized species.
(C) Authorized Species: Waterfowl, coot, snipe, and pheasant.
(D) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
(E) Special Restrictions: Dogs must be on a leash from March 1 through August 15. Designated portions of the Eel River Wildlife Area may be closed to vehicle entry from March 1 through September 15. Use of all terrain vehicles is prohibited all year with the exception of commercial anglers who may utilize the wave-slope for fishing access. Cannibal Island Unit of Eel River Wildlife Area closed to all public use from the Monday following youth hunting days (Subsection 502(E) (1)(B) (5)) until April 1.
- 14 CCR 502(e) Youth Waterfowl Hunting Days Regulations
(NOTE: To participate in these Youth Waterfowl Hunts, federal regulations require that hunters must be 15 years of age or younger and must be accompanied by a non-hunting adult 18 years of age or older.)(1) Statewide Provisions(A) Species Ducks (including Mergansers), American Coot, Common Moorhen, Black Brant, Geese
- Northern California Zone: The Saturday fourteen days before the opening of waterfowl season extending for 2 days
- Southern San Joaquin Valley Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Southern California Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Colorado River Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Balance of State Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
(C) Daily Bag Limit
Same as regular season.