On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Authorized Activities:
- Waterfowl hunting: geese, ducks & coot
- Upland game bird hunting: snipe
- Sport fishing: allowed; common species include ___
[ref. § 551(t)(6)]
- CDFW symbols: the Area webpage only reflects the following activities-
City: 2 miles north of the City Eureka
- County: Humboldt County
- Habitat:___This 484 acre previously grazed land has been restored to coastal and seasonal wetlands. Riparian woodlands occur along the eastern and southern edges of the area, and are dominated by red alder and willows. Many species of resident and migratory songbirds utilize this habitat, as well as upland game birds, egrets, herons and many species of raptors.
- Location: see our Google map
- Phone: (707) 445-6493.
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region: 1. Northern
- Size: 484 acres
- Special Management Area: North Coast SMA and Northern Brant SMA
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State WF Zone
- Website: Fay Slough WLA
B. All Hunting
- After Youth Hunt Days: NO public access from the Mon. following youth hunting days until Apr. 1; see Sec. 502(e)(1)(B)(5) for youth hunting days [ref. § 551(o)(13)]
- After Waterfowl Season: CLOSED from the SECOND Monday following close of WF season; see 14 CCR 502(e)
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Dog leashes: required from Mar. 1 – Aug. 15
- Hunt days: Hunting is allowed only on Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays and only during waterfowl season [ref. § 551(q)(5)]
- Hunter capacity: NO limit
- Weapons: NO rifles or pistols may be possessed–Shotguns ONLY [ref. § 551(r)(16)]
C. Waterfowl Season
- Small Canadian Geese
- Late season: NO hunting; see Sec. 502(d)(5)(D)1
(8) Fay Slough Wildlife Area
Type C Area 484 acres
Location: Approximately one-half mile north of Eureka, off Highway 101. Daily Hunter Capacity: No limit. For information call (707) 445-6493. Pursuant to Section 502(D) (5)(D) 1 (see page 10) hunting for Small Canada geese during the Late Season is not permitted on this area.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
(B) Hunt Days: Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays during open seasons for authorized species.
(C) Authorized Species: Water fowl, coot, and snipe.
(D) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
(E) Special Restrictions: Dogs must be on a leash from March 1 through August 15. Closed to all public use from the Monday following youth hunting days (Subsection 502(E) (1)(B) (5)) until April 1.
- 14 CCR 502(e) Youth Waterfowl Hunting Days Regulations (NOTE: To participate in these Youth Waterfowl Hunts, federal regulations require that hunters must be 15 years of age or younger and must be accompanied by a non-hunting adult 18 years of age or older.)
(1) Statewide Provisions
(A) Species Ducks (including Mergansers), American Coot, Common Moorhen, Black Brant, Geese
- Northern California Zone: The Saturday fourteen days before the opening of waterfowl season extending for 2 days
- Southern San Joaquin Valley Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Southern California Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Colorado River Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Balance of State Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
(C) Daily Bag Limit
Same as regular season.