On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to unit-speicific regulations (see menu to the rights), supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. All Units
- Boats: NOT allowed except at AND only by boat (i.e., no foot access) to the following units or portions thereof–
- Grey Goose
- Goodyear Slough: S. of Lake Herman Rd. and E. of the eastern-most RR tracks.
[ref. § 551(l)(7)]
- Boat launching: allowed from the Montezuma Slough unit for access to Montezuma Slough [ref. § 551(l)(7)]
- Boat size: boats less than 8 ft. less long may be used to transport decoys and/or blind materials [ref. § 551(l)(7)]
- Camping: NOT allowed except with prior written consent from the Area manager during the tule elk season [ref. § 551(m)(8)]
- Dog trials: allowed on the area but prohibited from March 1 through June 30, August 1 through the end of the tule elk season in September, and October 1 through the end of waterfowl. Click here for California hunting dog laws, including rules for specific hunting locations.
- Fires: NOT allowed except for the use of portable gas stoves in designated parking areas and sites [ref. § 551(n)(1)]
- Horses: Allowed only during CDFW-authorized dog trials [ref. § 551(l)(7)]
- Montezuma Slough: access by boat from the Montezuma Slough unit [ref. § 551(l)(7)]
- Pheasant season: hunting open
- First 12 days: open DAILY
- Remainder of season: ONLY on waterfowl hunt days
[ref. § 551(s)(7)]
- Pig hunting: Allowed only with a tag obtained through a special drawing [ref. § 551(s)(10)]
- Expiration: reservations expire one hour before shoot time [ref. § 551(x)(4)]
- Party size: six (6) including no more than two adults, each of which may bring a combinations of no more than two juniors and/or non-shooters [ref. § 551(x)(4)]
- Shotguns shell shot: ONLY steel or other non-toxic shot approved by the USFWS [ref. § 550(cc)(4)(E)]
- Tule elk season:
- Camping: requires prior written consent from the Area manager [ref. § 551(m)(8)]
- Tags: special tag required through a special drawing [ref. § 551(s)(8)]
- Wildlife viewing: required entry permit and fee [ref. § 551(w)(2)]
B. Unit Specific
Follow the links to this area’s units: (see our Google map)
- Crescent Unit
- Garibaldi Unit (CLOSED)
- Gold Hills Unit
- Goodyear Slough Unit
- Grey Goose Unit
- Grizzly Island Unit
- Island Slough Unit
- Joice Island Unit
- Montezuma Slough Unit (Fishing Only)
- West Family Unit
(42) Grizzly Island Wildlife Area
(A) Ammunition Restrictions: Shotguns may only be used with steel or other nontoxic shot approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and not more than 25 shot shells may be possessed while in the field during the waterfowl season.
(B) Hunt Days: Crescent and Grizzly Island Units: Waterfowl, coots, and moorhens: Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays during open seasons. Snipe: Snipe may be taken on waterfowl and pheasant hunt days. Pheasants: Each day during the first 12 days of the general pheasant season, and only on Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays during the remainder of the pheasant season. Rabbits and doves: Rabbit hunting is allowed daily in July and on pheasant hunt days. Dove hunting is allowed daily during the season in September after the close of the Grizzly Island tule elk hunt and on pheasant hunt days during the late dove season. Joice Island Unit: Waterfowl, coots, moorhens, and snipe: Sundays only when the department determines that the fall flight forecast and/or waterfowl numbers in the Suisun Marsh warrant its opening. Goodyear Slough, Gold Hills, and West Family units: Waterfowl, coots, moorhens, and snipe: Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays during open seasons. Island Slough and Grey Goose Units: Waterfowl, coots, moorhens, snipe, and pheasants: Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays during open seasons. Garibaldi and Montezuma Slough units: No hunting allowed.
(C) Day Use Pass Requirement for Public Access: For the Grizzly Island Unit, in addition to a daily entry permit required for hunting during the waterfowl and pheasant seasons, a day use pass or annual pass is required of all users except for users that possess a valid California sport fishing license, hunting license, or trapping license, or users that are under 16 years of age, or users that are part of an organized youth or school group, having free permits issued by the appropriate regional office.
(D) Authorized Species: Grizzly Island Unit: Waterfowl, snipe, coots, moorhens, elk, rabbits, doves, and pheasants. Crescent, Grey Goose, and Island Slough units: Waterfowl, snipe, coots, moorhens, rabbits, and pheasants. Gold Hills, Goodyear Slough, Joice Island, and West Family units: Waterfowl, snipe, coots, and moorhens.
(E) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed except with prior written permission of the area manager during the tule elk hunting season.
(F) Special Restrictions: On all units of Grizzly Island Wildlife Area public entry is only allowed from sunrise to sunset except by written permission. Garibaldi Unit: Closed to public use except with prior written permission from the area manager. Grizzly Island Unit: Closed to uses other than hunting from the last Monday in July through the end of the Grizzly Island tule elk hunting season and from October 1 through the end of the waterfowl season. No dogs allowed from March 1 to June 30. Dogs allowed during July. No dogs allowed in August and during the tule elk hunt season in September. Dogs allowed in September after the tule elk hunting season to September 30. No dogs during October through the close of waterfowl season except as follows: hunters with daily permits issued at the hunter checking station may only use dogs during the waterfowl and pheasant hunting season; no sight-hounds or coursing dogs allowed. Dogs allowed in February after the close of waterfowl season. Gold Hills, Goodyear Slough, Gray Goose, Island Slough, Crescent and West Family units: Closed from October 1 through the end of the general waterfowl season to uses other than hunting. Gold Hills, Goodyear Slough, Grey Goose, Island Slough, and West Family Units: Closed to all public use except with prior written permission from the area manager from the end of the waterfowl season to September 30. Island Slough and Montezuma Slough Units: Fishing access along Montezuma Slough is open all year, no hour restrictions. Joice Island Unit: Closed to public use except when permits are issued for waterfowl hunting, or with prior written permission of the area manager and during the special season open to fishing from mid-May to mid-August (contact area Headquarters for details). On all units, horses are allowed only under permit and only during organized dog field trials. On all units, fires are restricted to portable gas stoves throughout the year and are to be used only in parking areas and designated sites. The use of boats for access on all management units of the Grizzly Island Wildlife Area, except the Grey Goose Unit and Goodyear Slough Unit to the south of Lake Herman Road and east of the eastern most railroad tracks, is prohibited. Access to these two areas is by boat only. No foot access. This shall not prohibit launching of boats at the Montezuma Slough unit for access to Montezuma Slough. Boats less than eight feet in length may be used to transport decoys and/or blind materials. Use of all terrain vehicles (ATV’s) is prohibited on all units of the Grizzly Island Wildlife Area.