On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Waterfowl hunting: geese, ducks, coot & moorhen
- Sport fishing: common species, ___
[ref. § 551(t)(9)]
- City: Santa Rosa (3 mi. west)
- County: Solano
- Habitat: seasonal, marsh wetlands includes the Mark West creek; vernal pools, and low gradient oak-grassland uplands. This is the 2nd largest freshwater complex in No. Cal.
- Location: see our Google map and directions
- Phone: (707) 944-5500
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region 3: Bay Delta map
- Size: 131 – 539 acres ___ (regs vs. CDFW webpage)
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State WF Zone
- Website: Laguna WLA
B. Waterfowl Season
- Access: ONLY by boat from the Laguna de Santa Rosa waterway during high water. Warning shot!!! Foot or terrestrial access to the Occidental Road Unit is prohibited because there is no visitor right-of-way. [ref. § 551(o)(29)]
- Archery: for waterfowl hunting, a bow and arrow, crossbow bolts with flu-flu fletching, and conventionally fletched arrows are allowed while sitting on the water from scullboats or similar watercraft but ONLY for the purpose of hunting AND within the designated hunt area (see our summary)
- Blinds: permanent blinds are NOT allowed
- Closures: The Timber Hill, Blucher Creek, and Cooper Road units are closed to hunting [ref. § 551(o)(29)]
- Hunt areas: Only the wetland portions of the Occidental Road Unit associated with the Laguna de Santa Rosa are open to hunting, and hunting is allowed only when the Laguna de Santa Rosa is navigable and the wetlands are accessible by boat [ref. § 551(o)(29)]
- Hunt days: Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays [ref. § 551(q)(8)]
- Hunter capacity: NO limit but huntable area is small and dependent on rainfall
- Weapons: NO rifles or pistols may be possessed [ref. § 551(r)(26)]
C. Other Activities
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Dogs: NOT allowed from Mar. 2 – Jun. 30. (see our summary) [ref. § 551(o)(29)]
- Fires: NOT allowed
- Horses: NOT allowed [ref. § 551(1)(13)]
D. State Regulations
(44) Laguna Wildlife Area – Occidental Road Unit
Type C Area 131 acres
Location and Access: Located in Sonoma County between Santa Rosa and Sebastapol, approximately one mile south of Guerneville Road and 0.3 mile north of Occidental Road. Terrain is seasonal wetlands and low gradient oak-grassland uplands. Access: Access by boat only from the Laguna de Santa Rosa waterway during high water. There is presently no land based access. Daily Hunter Capacity: No Limit but huntable area is small and dependent on rainfall. For information call (707) 944-5500.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
(B) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
(C) Special Restrictions: Waterfowl hunting only. Horseback riding is not allowed. Dogs are not allowed from March 2 through June 30. Campfires are prohibited. Permanent blinds are prohibited.
(D) Areas Open to Hunting: Wetlands within the Laguna de Santa Rosa, lying between Guerneville Road on the north and Occidental Road on the south.