On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Authorized Activities:
- Waterfowl hunting: geese, ducks, coot & moorhen
- Upland game bird hunting: snipe
- Sport fishing: common species include cutthroat and steelhead
[ref. § 551(t)(10)]
- CDFW symbols: Area webpage only reflects the following activities-
City: approx. three mi. N. of Crescent City.
- County: Del Norte County
- Habitat: Pacific Ocean, sand dunes with beach grasses and other vegetation, lakes, two lagoons, deep channel (Narrows), upland fields, and forest, as well as salt and fresh water marshes.
- Location: see our Google map
- Phone: (707) 464-2523 and (707) 487-0601
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region: 1. Northern
- Size: 5,431 – 6,134 acres (CDFW webpage v. booklet)
- Special Management Areas: North Coast SMA and Northern Brant SMA
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State WF Zone
- Website: Lake Earl WLA
B. All Hunting
- Archery: see our summary
- Equipment: bow and arrow or crossbow bolts with flu-flu fletching except that for waterfowl, conventionally fletched arrows may also be used while sitting on the water from scullboats or similar watercraft
- Location: within the first 100 feet of land along the shoreline and on the water surface of Lake Earl and Lake Talawa
- Purpose: ONLY for hunting migratory game birds or small game within designated shoot areas except that for waterfowl
- Season: ONLY during the regular waterfowl season
Warning shot!!! During any archery season, archers may NOT possess a firearm while in the field hunting with a archery equipment.
[ref. § 551(r)(28)]
- Boat motors: NOT allowed motors during waterfowl season [ref. § 551(l)(14)]
- Boat ramps: available (see our Google map)
- Bush Creek: see “Closures” below
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed (go to Tolowa Dunes State Park)
- Closures: Bush Creek is closed from the Mon. following youth hunting days until Apr. 1; see Sec. 502(e)(1)(B)(5) for youth hunting days [ref. § 551(o)(31)]
- Dog hunting: ONLY for hunting (see our summary of dog hunting/training restrictions)
- Enter/Exit: ONLY at designated points of access (see our Google map )
- Hunt area:
- Lake Earl: from the water surface
- Lake Talawa: from the water surface
- Shorelines: w/in the first 100 feet of land
[ref. § 551(r)(28)]
- Hunter capacity: NO limit
- Weapons: NO rifles or pistols may be possessed—shotguns and archery equipment ONLY [ref. § 551(r)(28)]
C. Waterfowl Season
Archery: allowed on the water surface of Lake Earl and Lake Talawa but ONLY during WF season (also see “All hunting” above) [ref. § 551(r)(28)]
- Hunt days: daily
- Hunt map: see pic. to the right and our Google map___
- Small Canadian Geese:
- Late Season: NOT allowed; see Sec. 502(d)(5)(D)1
D. Snipe Season
- Hunt days: DAILY
(11) Lake Earl Wildlife Area
Type C Area 5,431 acres
Location and Access: Approximately three miles north of Crescent City. Hunter access is provided at three locations on Lake Earl. The south shore can be reached from Highway 101 by turning north on Northcrest Ave., which becomes Lake Earl Drive north of Crescent City, and proceeding approximately 2-1/2 miles to Lakeview Road, then turning left on Lakeview Road and proceeding 3/4 mile to the parking area and boat access ramp. To reach Teal Point Access at the north end of Lake Earl, proceed on Lake Earl Drive past Buzzinni Road for about 3/4 mile to Lower Lake Road, turn left on Lower Lake Road and proceed for about two miles to Kellogg Road; turn left on Kellogg Road and proceed for about one mile to the Pacific Shores subdivision; turn left on the main north-south access road and proceed south for approximately two miles to the access ramp and parking area. Daily Hunter Capacity: No limit. For information call (707) 464-2523. Pursuant to Section 502(D) (5)(D) 1 (see page 10) hunting for Small Canada geese during the Late Season is not permitted on this area.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
(B) Hunt Days: Daily during open seasons for authorized species.
(C) Authorized Species: Waterfowl, coots, snipe, and moorhens.
(D) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
(E) Special Restrictions: Possession and use of authorized firearms and archery equipment is permitted only within the first 100 feet of land along the shoreline and on the water surface of Lake Earl and Lake Talawa during the regular open waterfowl season. Boats are allowed, but motors are prohibited during the waterfowl season. Dogs are allowed only for hunting during open season for authorized species. Bush Creek public access is closed to all public use from the Monday following youth hunting days (Subsection 502(E) (1)(B) (5)) until April 1.
- 14 CCR 502(e) Youth Waterfowl Hunting Days Regulations (NOTE: To participate in these Youth Waterfowl Hunts, federal regulations require that hunters must be 15 years of age or younger and must be accompanied by a non-hunting adult 18 years of age or older.)
(1) Statewide Provisions
(A) Species Ducks (including Mergansers), American Coot, Common Moorhen, Black Brant, Geese
- Northern California Zone: The Saturday fourteen days before the opening of waterfowl season extending for 2 days
- Southern San Joaquin Valley Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Southern California Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Colorado River Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
- Balance of State Zone: The Saturday following the closing of waterfowl season extending for 2 days.
(C) Daily Bag Limit
Same as regular season.