Closed to all hunting, firearms and archery use [ref. § 551(o)(29)]
On this page, you’ll find a consolidation of unit-specific information gathered from Title 14 of the California Code of Regulations, the CDFW website, the California Hunting Regulations manual, public maps, and all other known sources, including:
- General information about the WLA
- Authorized activities
- A summary of area-specific rules and regulations
- Hunting maps
- Driving directions
- Other useful information and links
- Excerpts of applicable rules and regulations
Warning shot!!! Go to the introduction page for links to summaries of other relevant rules and regulations, e.g. Migratory Bird Treat Act and general State law. Remember that there may be additional rules located at the Wildlife Area (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info:
- Authorized Activities:
- Hunting: CLOSED to all hunting and use of firearms and archery equipment
- Other activities: sportfishing, birdwatching, photography, bicycling and hiking
- City: 25 miles north of San Francisco
- County: Napa, Solano and/or Sonoma ___
- Habitat: tidal, diked and seasonally flooded wetland, sloughs, rivers, salt ponds and diked agricultural fields
- Location: see our Google map
- Phone: (707) 944-5500
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region 3: Bay Delta map
- Size: 14,000 acres (WLA)___
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State
- Website: Napa-Sonoma Marshes and Maps, including boat launch sites
B. Non-Hunting Activities:
- Access: ___
- Archery: NOT equipment may be possessed except by authorized personnel (see our summary)
- Boat ramps: see our Google map
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Time of year: ONLY from Mar. 2 – Jun. 30 (see our summary of dog hunting/training restrictions)
- Leashes: required
- Fires: NOT allowed
- Weapons: no rifles or pistols [ref. § 551(r)(37)]
- Species: common species include, ___
(49) Napa-Sonoma Marshes Wildlife Area
Type C Area 14,000 acres
Location and Access: Located west and north of Highway 37 near the city of Vallejo, east and south of Highway 121 near the cities of Sonoma and Napa. Access: Access points include parking areas at the Huichia Creek, Tolay Creek, Wingo and Ringstrom Bay units, and by boat access via the Napa River, Sonoma Creek Dutchman, Napa, South, Hudeman and other tributary sloughs. Daily Hunter Capacity: No limit. For information call (707) 944-5500.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
(B) Hunt Days: Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays during open seasons for authorized species, except that doves and rabbits may be hunted daily during the September dove season.
(C) Authorized Species: Waterfowl, coots, moorhens, snipe, rabbits, quail, pheasants, and doves.
(D) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
(E) Special Restrictions: White Slough Unit: Closed to all hunting and firearms and archery equipment use. American Canyon Unit: Closed to all hunting and firearms and archery equipment use south of the PG&E power lines. Green Island Unit and Southern Crossing Unit: Closed to the public until restoration activities are near completion. Tolay Creek Unit: Only steel or other nontoxic shot approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service may be used or possessed south of Highway 37. All units: Dogs are not allowed from March 2 through June 30 and must be on a leash at all other times except as follows: holders of a valid hunting license may use dogs during hunting seasons. Campfires are prohibited. Permanent blinds are prohibited.