On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
- Waterfowl hunting: geese, ducks, scaup, coot & moorhen
- Other activities: sport fishing
[ref. § 551(t)(21)]
- City: ___
- County: Contra Costa
- Facilities: none
- Habitat: island perimeter has alder, willow, blackberry and tules. The marsh vegetation of tules and cattails exist in water up to several feet deep.
- Location: see our Google map
- Phone: (707) 944-5500 (CDFW) and (707) 944-5531 (Region 3)
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region 3: Bay Delta map
- Size: 64 acres (island)
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State WF Zone
- Website: Rhode Island WLA
B. All Activities:
- Access: ONLY by boat
- Archery: a bow and arrow or crossbow bolts with flu-flu fletching is allowed ONLY for the purpose of hunting migratory game birds or small game within designated shoot areas except that for waterfowl, conventionally fletched arrows may also be used to take waterfowl while sitting on the water from scullboats or similar watercraft. Warning shot!!! During any archery season, archers may NOT possess a firearm while in the field hunting with a archery equipment (see our summary)
- Boat ramps: see our Google map
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Passes: n/a
- Permits: n/a
- Reservations: not available
- Weapons: NO rifles or pistols may be possessed—ONLY shotguns and archery equipment [ref. § 551(r)(43)]
C. Waterfowl Season
- Hunt days: DAILY during open seasons for the “Balance of State” waterfowl zone (link to summary of seasons and limits)
- Shooting hours: one half (1/2) hour before sunrise to sunset (link to summary of shooting hours for Northern California)
- Species: common species include wood ducks, cinnamon teal & mallards
D. Other Activities
- Sport fishing: allowed; common species include ___
(54) Rhode Island Wildlife Area
Type C Area 64 Acres
Location and Access: Contra Costa County. By boat only.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
(B) Hunt Days: Daily during open season for authorized species.
(C) Authorized Species: Waterfowl, coots, and moorhens.
(D) Camping: Not allowed.