On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
Authorized activities: all legal species (except big game) but CDFW emphasizes–
- Waterfowl: goose & duck (when flooded)
- Upland Game Birds: dove (mourning), pheasant (ring-necked) & quail
Big Game: NOT allowed
- Sport fishing: common species in the Tule Canal include white sturgeon, white catfish and black crappie; nearby borrow pits– largemouth bass, bluegill & white catfish
- City: approx. 4 mi. W. of Sacramento on W. side of the Sac. River
- County: Yolo
- Facilities: None
- Habitat: trees (cottonwood, willows and valley oaks) and sparsely-covered sandy soil area on the eastern end
- Location: (see our Google map) From Sacramento, proceed W. on Business 80 Hwy to the Harbor Blvd. exit; take Harbor Blvd. to County Rd. 22, go N. on County Rd. 22 for 0.7 mi.; turn W. on County Rd. 126 or 127. From I-80: take the Reed Ave. exit and proceed east to Harbor Blvd.. Travel N. on Harbor Blvd. approx. 1 mile to the bypass, which is b/n Road 127 and Road 126. Access is gained at numerous points from County Roads 126 or 127. There is a gate across Road 127 and vehicles are not allowed on the levee road. Road 126 is paved for one mile before encountering a gate, restricting further vehicle access along the levee. It is here the road turns north onto Road 124.
- Phone: (916) 358-2900
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region 2: Map
- Size: 361 acres
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State WF Zone
- Website: Sacramento Bypass WLA
B. All Hunting:
- Archery: NO equipment may be possessed except by authorized personnel (see our summary)
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Closures: NO hunting from Feb. 1 – Aug. 31 [§ 551(o)(48)]
- Hunt days: DAILY from Sept. 1 – Jan. 31 during open seasons for authorized species.
- Hunt area: see our Google map
- Passes: NOT required
- Permits: NOT required
- Reservations: NOT required or available
- Shotguns shells: ONLY—NO buckshot or slugs [§ 551(r)(44)]
- Vehicles: NOT allowed on levee roads after gates on Road 126 and Road 127
- Weapons: NO rifles, pistols, or archery equipment may be possessed [§ 551(r)(44)]
(33) Sacramento Bypass Wildlife Area
Type C Area 361 acres
Location and Access: From Sacramento, proceed west on Business 80 Highway to the Harbor Boulevard exit; take Harbor Boulevard to County Road 22, go north on County Road 22 for 0.7 mile; turn west on County Road 126 or 127. For information call (916) 358-2900.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles, pistols, or archery equipment may be used or possessed. Shot shells only. No buckshot or slugs.
(B) Hunt Days: Daily from September 1 through January 31 during open seasons for authorized species.
(C) Authorized Species: All legal species, except big game species.
(D) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
(E) Special Restrictions: Hunting is allowed only from September 1 through January 31.