On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
- Authorized Activities:
- Waterfowl hunting: NOT authorized
- Upland game bird hunting: all that are open
- Small game hunting: all that are open
- Other activities: tour road___
- City: unincorporated communities of Lakeview and Nuevo are to the south
- County: Riverside (E. of Perris Reservoir State Recreation Area)
- Habitat: restored wetlands including ponds
- Headquarters: open Mon.-Fri. from 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. except it is closed on all State and Federal holidays.
- Phone: (951) 928-0580
- Recreational use: Type A
- Region 6: map
- Size: 9,000 – 10,000 acres (regs v. CDFW webpage)
- Waterfowl Zone: Southern California
- Website: San Jacinto WLA
B. All Hunting
- Alcohol: may NOT be possessed or consumed on the premises
- Bicycles: allowed ONLY on designated trails and/or routes [ref. § 551(j)(6)]
- Camping & Trailers: NOT allowed
- Closures: NO public access when the Unit is closed to unrestricted access ___[What does that mean?]
- Dog leashes: to remain under control and on a leash except when hunting or involved in another authorized activity
- Enter/Exit: ONLY at designated points of entry
- Fires: NOT allowed
- Hunt area: ONLY in designated areas from one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise until sunset unless otherwise restricted or limited within the unit [ref. § 551(o)(52) and (p)(8)]
- Hunt days: DAILY during open seasons [ref. § 551(p)(8)]
- Passes: a “Type A” Pass for the Potrero Unit is required (One-Day, Two-Day or Season Pass) and must be maintained in immediate possession while in the Unit. Warning shots!!! Passes must be purchased in advance from the CDFW (link to purchasing info)___[does this apply to all hunting and is it referring to a Daily Entry Permit or a Pass???] Allow fifteen (15) days for mailing
- Permits: check in at the Permit Booth located on Davis Road across the street from the Wildlife Area’s Headquarters office ___
- Reservations: available for pheasant hunting (see below) ___[regs say so]
- Vehicles: NOT allowed except by written permission from the Regional Manager
- Weapons: NO paintball guns, parts or supplies may be possessed___[what about rifles, pistols and archery]
C. Dove Seasons
- Early season: Sep. 1 – 15, 2013
- Late season: Nov. 9 – Dec. 23, 2013
[ref. § 551(o)(52)]
D. Pheasant Season
- Hunter Capacity: 50 reservations___
- Applications: required and must be purchased at least seventeen (17) days in advance from the CDFW (link to purchasing info) ___
- Parties: two adults and two junior hunters [ref. § 551(x)(15)]
- Priority: processed in numerical order beginning w/ Reservation #1
- Season: Nov. 9 – Dec 22, 2013
[ref. § 551(o)(52)]
E. Quail Season
- Season: Oct. 19, 2013 – Jan. 26, 2014 [ref. § 551(o)(52)]
F. Snipe Season
- Season: Oct. 19, 2013 – Feb. 2, 2014 [ref. § 551(o)(52)]
G. Rabbit Hunting
- Season: Jul. 1, 2013 – Jan. 26, 2014 [ref. § 551(o)(52)]
H. Tree Squirrel Season
- CLOSED: NO open season in Riverside
I. Turkey Seasons
- Fall season: Nov 9 – Dec 8, 2013
- Spring season: Mar 29 – May 4, 2014
- Regulations: click Turkey
[ref. § 551(o)(52)]
J. Other Activities
- Hours of use: DAILY from 7:00 a.m. until sunset
- Passes: a CDFW “Lands Pass” is required for non-hunting recreational purposes (unless the user has a CA license for sport fishing, hunting or trapping) and must be redeemed at the point of entry to get an entry permit.
- Tour Roads: may be closed during rainy periods
- Wildlife viewing: requires fee and entry permit [ref. § 551(w)(5)]
(77) San Jacinto Wildlife Area
Type A Area 10,000 acres
Location and Access: In western Riverside County east of Perris Reservoir State Recreation Area. Checking station is on Davis Road 2-1/4 miles north of Ramona Expressway. Davis Road may be impassible after heavy rain. Checking Station: …For Pheasant hunters, the check station will open at 6:30 a.m. each shoot day. Reservations: Available during… pheasant seasons (see subsection below). Pheasant hunting is through reservation only. Daily Hunter Capacity: … pheasants: 50 reservations. For information call (951) 928-0580.
(B) Potrero Unit
1. Camping and Trailers: Camping and overnight use is not allowed.
2. Any person within the unit shall have in his or her immediate possession a current valid day use pass for the Potrero Unit. No person may be within the boundaries of the unit during hours or dates that the unit is closed to unrestricted public access.
3. No motorized vehicles allowed except by written permission of the regional manager.
4. Bicycle use is limited to designated trails and/or routes.
5. No person shall enter or leave the unit except at designated entry and exit points.
6. Alcoholic beverages may not be possessed or consumed on the premises.
7. Paintball guns, parts or supplies may be not used or possessed.
8. Fires: Not allowed year round.
9. Dogs must be kept on a leash and under the immediate control of the owner or owner’s designee, unless actively involved in legal hunting or other authorized activity.
10. Authorized Species: Upland game birds and resident small game.
11. Special Restrictions: Upland game and resident small game species may be taken only in designated areas unless otherwise restricted or limited within the unit.