On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
Authorized activities: all legal species but CDFW emphasizes–
- Waterfowl hunting: goose & duck (jump shooting)
- Upland game bird hunting: dove (mourning), quail (bobwhite and valley) & Turkey
- Big game hunting: deer (zone D-3) & pig (rare)
- Small game hunting: rabbit & tree squirrel
- Non-game hunting: coyote & ground squirrel
- Sport fishing: common species include largemouth bass, bluegill & catfish (Cox Creek, Dry Creek, Horseshoe, Little Dry Creek, Pittman, Spring Plot, Upper Jones Ponds & Wood Duck #1)
- Dog field trials
- Dog training
- City: approx. 18 mi. E. Marysville, and N. of Camp Far West
- County: Nevada & Yuba
- Facilities: Campgrounds available Sept. 1 through spring turkey season
- Habitat: foothill from 200 to 1200 feet elevations with woodlands (blue oak and gray pines) and several ponds, creeks, trails and riparian zones
- Location: (see our Google map) approx. 15 mi. E. of the town of Marysville. From Marysville proceed about 18 mi. E. on Hwy 20 to Smartsville Rd. Proceed S. (right) on Smartsville Rd. about one (1) mi. to area boundary. Turn left on Waldo Rd. for about 1/4 mi. to the shooting range. From Wheatland proceed NE to Camp Far W. Reservoir and then follow Long Ravine Rd. about two (2)mi. N. to area boundary.
- Phone: (530) 538-2236
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region 2: Map
- Size: 11,887 – 11, 942acres (CDFW webpage v. booklet)
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State WF Zone
- Website: Spenceville WLA
B. All Hunting:
- ATV’s: and OHV’s are NOT allowed (per DFG webpage)
- Location: allowed at the “Target shooting” and shooting areas (see Par. D bel0w)
- Time of year: may be possessed ONLY during archery season starting Sept. 1 (link to our summary of archery-specific regulations)
Bicycles: ONLY on designated trails, graveled administrative roads (Pittman, Falls, Nichols, Jones) and county roads. Warning shot!!! The roads are all gated with white pipe gates. [§ 551(j)(7)]
- Camping & trailers:
- Duration: ONLY seven (7) consecutive days or fourteen (14) days in the calendar year
- Location: ONLY in designated campsites
- Time of year: ONLY from Sept. 1 – spring turkey season
- Hunting: Closed to hunting Feb. 1 – Aug. 31 except during the spring turkey season when only turkeys may be hunted.
- Spenceville Mine: The posted area around the Spenceville Mine is closed to visitor entry.
- Spring Turkey Season: Closed to all visitor entry during the first nine days of the spring turkey season except for special turkey permit holders.
- Fires: ONLY in portable gas stoves at designated camping sites [§ 551(n)(5)]
- Access: from the designated camp area and gates on Waldo Road located by the corrals.
- Carriages: ONLY on county roads open to vehicles
- Cross country riding: NOT allowed
- Location: ONLY on designated trails and graveled administrative roads (Pittman, Falls, Nichols, Jones) and w/in 25 ft. of any wildlife area exterior boundary fence. Warning shot!!! The roads are all gated with white pipe gates
- Hunt days:
- Fall and Winter: DAILY from Sept. 1 – Jan. 31 during open seasons
- Spring Turkey Season: DAILY but ONLY turkeys may be hunted
- Hunter capacity: NO limit except during the spring turkey season.
- Passes: NOT required
- Permits: NOT required except see “Turkey Season” below
- Reservations: NOT available except see “Turkey Season” below
- Weapons: NO rifles or pistols may be possessed—ONLY shotguns and archery equipment (per DFE webpage). The ONLY exception is in the “Target Practice Area” (see Par. D below)
C. Spring Turkey Season
- Reservations: required ONLY for the first nine (9) days of Spring Turkey Season
- Applications: available online
- Drawing: for special permit that serves as the “reservation;” Sec 550(b)
- Seasons: click Turkey
D. Other Activities
- Dog field trials: Allowed only in the designated portion of the area from July 1 through March 15. Click here for California hunting dog laws, including rules for specific hunting locations.
- Dog training: Allowed only in the designated portion of the area from July 1 through March 15. Click here for California hunting dog laws, including rules for specific hunting locations.
- Target shooting: All legal firearms and archery equipment may be possessed and discharged at the target practice area, which is open year-round. Only paper and clay targets may be used and must be removed by the user when leaving the area. [§ 551(v)(4)]
(36) Spenceville Wildlife Area
Type C Area 11,887 acres
Location and Access: Approximately fifteen miles east of the town of Marysville. From Marysville proceed about eighteen miles east on Highway 20 to Smartsville Road. Proceed south (right) on Smartsville Road about one mile to area boundary. Turn left on Waldo Road for about 1/4 mile to the shooting range. From Wheatland proceed northeast to Camp Far West Reservoir and then follow Long Ravine Road about two miles north to area boundary. Daily Hunter Capacity: No limit except during the spring turkey season. For additional information, please call (530) 538-2236. For information on the spring turkey application, please visit http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ wildlife/hunting/uplandgame/gamebird/index.html
(A) Hunt Days: Daily from September 1 through January 31 during open seasons for authorized species and during the spring turkey season.
(B) Authorized Species: All legal species.
(C) Camping and Trailers: Allowed in designated campsites during the period September 1 through the end of the spring turkey season.
(D) Special Restrictions: Pursuant to the provisions of subsection 550(B) , an entry permit, issued by special drawing, is required for the first nine days of the spring turkey season. During the first nine days of the spring turkey season, the wildlife area is closed to all public entry, except those individuals possessing a special permit issued by the department. Hunting is allowed only from September 1 through January 31, and during the spring turkey season, when only turkeys may be hunted. Horseback riding and bicycle riding shall be restricted to designated trails and roads, and dog training shall be restricted to designated areas. During the period from March 16 through June 30, dog training shall be prohibited. Fires are allowed only in portable gas stoves at sites designated for camping by the department. All legal firearms and archery equipment may be possessed and discharged at the designated target practice area, which is open all year. Only paper and clay targets will be allowed at the designated target practice area and must be removed prior to leaving the designated area. Use of the target practice area is permitted only from sunrise to sunset. The posted area surrounding the Spenceville Mine will be closed to public entry all year. For additional information, please call (530) 538-2236. For information on the spring turkey application process, please visit http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/ hunting/uplandgame/gamebird/index.html