On this page, you’ll find area-specific regulations that supplement and/or supersede general use regulations, both of which are a condition for use and incorporated by reference into the entry permit. You’ll also find links to supporting law, websites, directions, hunt maps, and a suggestion box.
Warning shot!!! Remember, federal law also applies (link to our summary of the Migratory Bird Treat Act.) and additional may be located at the Wildlife Area that you can’t find anywhere else (e.g. check station, information kiosks, permits, reservations, road signs, etc.)
A. General Info
Authorized activities: all legal species, but DFG emphasizes–
- Waterfowl hunting: goose & duck
- Upland game bird hunting: dove & quail
- Big game hunting: bear & deer
- Small game hunting: rabbit & squirrel
- Sport fishing: common species include trout in the Truckee River
- City: approx. 2 to 7 mi. E of Truckee
- County: Nevada & Placer
- Habitat: ___
- Location: (see our Google map) at and downstream of the town of Truckee
- Phone: (916) 358-2900
- Recreational use: Type C
- Region 2: Map
- Size: 725 acres
- Waterfowl Zone: Balance of State WF Zone
- Website: Truckee River WLA
B. All Hunting
- Camping & trailers: NOT allowed
- Fires: NOT allowed (per DFG webpage)
- Hunt days: DAILY
- Hunting maps: see below and our Google map
- Weapons: no rifles or pistols [§ 551(r)(52)]
(38) Truckee River Wildlife Area
Type C Area 725 acres
Location: This wildlife area consists of 4 units located at and downstream of the town of Truckee. For information call (916) 358-2900.
(A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
(B) Hunt Days: Daily during open seasons for authorized species.
(C) Authorized Species: All legal species.
(D) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.